Construction abroad - Guatemala
Do you like to build houses? we are a non-profit organization that aims to improve the quality of life of poor Guatemalan families, build or repair homes, schools, orphanage, across the Guatemala.
Discover how Amistad Guatemala Project is addressing pressing health issues for families earning US$2-4 per day. Volunteers working with us offer decent, affordable housing provides an environment that promotes health and stability. The three-part initiative focuses on building smokeless stoves, sanitary latrines and water filtration systems. Your team will have the opportunity to serve multiple families through one or all of the healthy home initiatives.
As part of this team you’ll impact several families in one week while learning about the innovative ways Amistad Guatemala Project is helping Guatemalan families through shelter initiatives. You’ll work hard on the build site, repaint a houses or orphanage, schools, digging a foundation, mixing concrete and mortar, splitting concrete blocks and laying them for the walls of the stove, latrine or water filtration system.
We offer living in a host family with native Mayan families or Ladino families. It’s a very humane and cultural experience because you will be living among the complete community. The adapting of the team is a key point in enjoying the visit. He will live a completely different live from the one back home and he will be enriched with new knowledge from a different country.
Available only for pre-constituted groups, high schools, university, churches, students or adult groups, all those who are committed to helping Guatemala's poverty.
Itinerary *From 7 to 15 days
- Friday: Arrive. Depart from home and join us in Guatemala! Amistad Project Guatemala will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team and your host family.
- Saturday and Sunday: Visite. With our guide, visitors explore the natural beauty of the highlands of Guatemala while enjoying immersion in the local culture and meet Mayan villagers. Participants enjoy to discover traditions tour in Mayan villages. Additional customized trip options may include a Mayan village boat tours of Lake Atitlan, climbing Pacaya Volcano, visit a coffee plantation, horseback riding, a boat tour, beach, zip line adventures, or some visit museums, visit de best destinations of country and much more.
- Monday-Friday: Build. Mix cement, lay bricks and assist the local masons to build a new home or improve an existing one. In afternoon we offer you a cultural excursion. Activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore. The team will go sightseeing in and around Antigua.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue to traveling in Guatemala or head on home.